Welcome to the School Nursing service in Tameside. We aim to promote health, prevent illness and provide support for you child whilst they are of school age. All schools have a contact School Nurse.
About Our Service
- We provide a comprehensive immunisation and screening programme.
- We work with children and families to promote and support healthy lifestyles.
- We work to improve emotional and mental health in children and raise awareness on how to access services.
- We support children with bed wetting.
- We support children with additional needs and ensure children have a school focused care plan.
- We provide a drop in service within most high schools where young people can obtain confidential advice on any aspect of their physical and emotional health.
- We work closely with our partners in social care to provide support to families dealing with issues surrounding safeguarding children.
- We give training to school staff and parents regarding medical conditions which may affect children in school.
- Our health mentors work with families offering brief interventions to children to improve health and well being.
- Special Educational Needs and Disability (SEN-D): We work with closely with the local authority and other agencies to provide the ‘local offer.’ This is information and support in a single place for children and young people with special educational needs (SEND) and their parents or carers, about what services you can expect from a range of local agencies, including education, health and social care. Knowing what is out there gives you more choice and therefore more control over what support is right for each child and young person. You can find out more about information about this on http://www.tameside.gov.uk/localoffer
We are a team of qualified nurses, school health assistants and health mentors, and we are supported by a generic support worker. All our teams have a number of qualified nurses who have an additional school nursing qualification at degree level. We are all dedicated to improving the wellbeing of children and young people.
How To Use The Service
We offer an open drop in service for young people and can be accessed through school or local clinic. We take self referrals from young people via school and parents, and referrals from other agencies (with consent from parent or young person).
Our clinics are open Monday - Friday, 9am-5pm.
School Nurses are based at the clinics below. Each team has an answer phone facility and these messages are picked up daily.
Denton, Droylsden and Audenshaw School Nurse Team
Ann Street Clinic, Denton, M34 2AJ Tel. 0161 366 2240
Ashton-under-Lyne School Nurse Team
Crickets Lane Clinic, Ashton, OL6 6NG Tel. 0161 342 7891
Hyde, Hattersley & Longdendale School Nurse Team
Union St Clinic, Hyde, SK14 1NX Tel. 0161 366 2272
Hattersley Clinic, Hattersley Road East, SK14 3EH
Tel. 0161 366 3900
Dukinfield, Mossley & Stalybridge School Nursing Team
Stalybridge Clinic, Waterloo Street, Stalybridge, SK15 2AU Tel 0161 366 2182